Ive Been A-Sewing!

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

So, I decided to stop being afraid of my sewing machine and try and learn how to use it! I started browsing amazon, and came across my own personal sewing bible.

Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew

the motto is no pins and no patterns - ummmm..... I'm in love!!!

So, after browsing the chapters a few nights ago and armed with a great tutorial, I started sewing.... and sewing...

and here's what I came up with (please excuse the photos, my camera is in the shop)


These started out as an old pair of Kevin's corduroys and are in the process of being transformed into a pair of experimental orveralls. They are still lacking the overall bit, I'm trying to gather inspiration for something fun for that! The pockets are recycled and are actual pockets.

These are a pair of gauchos made from a scrap piece of upholstery fabric. (I did use a pattern for inspiration). I'm going to put 4 large buttons on them, add a clasp at the back and put a black cuff on the legs
Here's Avari testing out the size while having a snack- note my abandoned crochet project in the background and the trail of yarn (I did finish a good portion of it this evening). i'm hoping to make a hat out of the left-over fabric
Here is my first shirt!!! I'm really proud of this because it's from scratch- no pattern, I just used a shirt of Avari's for the size and made it a bit bigger. The shape looks funny because it's hanging on the back of the couch. It really does drape nicely!

So that is my week! If you've made it this far, then you'll get a sneak peek at my new secret project! I've only half finished coding it, and it still has a long way to go, but you can start posting your great finds and crafts - http://www.fromhandtoheart.com




0 comments: