OK I'm on a Roll

Thursday, June 26, 2008

I don't feel that I can relax tonight yet because I've been reading too much about "the number 350" . Everyone who knew me in the past will find this odd, because I used to be the complete opposite of an activist. In fact I was probably an anti-activist activist. I can't do that anymore. Maybe it is because I have grown up, or perhaps because I've created a next generation of my own, but all of this really means something to me now. Does that mean that I am going to go out an march for the Earth? Maybe? But there has to be more I can do everyday. I've looked up a top ten list of things someone can do to lower their carbon emissions and I'm really challenging everyone to read the link above, as well as the article in the post below and really thing about what you can do to help.

1. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

This is the one major chance that we have done in our family in the past 6 months. I never used to recycle. I would roll my eyes at the extra work. That is, until I moved to Powell River and was faced with having to go out and remember to buy garbage tags for each bag of garbage AND remember which day was garbage day AND pay $2 for every bag to be taken away. Previously in Victoria when we lived in an apartment, we could just throw the bags in the dumpster. Well, all of a sudden, sorting out recycling and doing a compost seemed much easier. We went from probably 3 green bags weekly to now we're lucky if we have one white kitchen bag. We don't buy very much packaged food anymore, we're keeping all of our glass jars to reuse, and we recycle/compost everything that can be.

By recycling half of your household waste, you can save 2,400 pounds of carbon dioxide annually.

2. Use Less Heat and Air Conditioning


Air conditioning isn't a problem because we don't have it. Heat. Well... I like heat. I like being warm. I dislike being cold and our house is cold in the wintertime. I guess a major motivation for next winter will be the cost of heating, since natural gas costs are supposed to go up about $150 yearly for the average household. Sweaters, blankets, warm pajamas... I think a main issue is going to have to be making the house warmer. Our house leaks cold air from every crack. Most of the windows are just a single pane of glass set in a frame with no weather stripping at all. I was looking in to getting yards of wool interlock for the windows to hang to keep the heat in and the cold out. Weather Stripping is something that we should be spending our Climate $100 rebate on because in the long run, it would probably save us more than the $100 put in. This is going to be a huge priority this year.

Setting your thermostat just 2 degrees lower in winter and higher in summer could save about 2,000 pounds of carbon dioxide each year.

3. Change a Lightbulb

OK- this is something I have no excuse for not doing since my father owns a lighting store. He isn't sold on the idea though yet and apparently there are new LED ones coming out this year that are better so I'm holding out for them. My dad just told me a horrifying thought about our motion detector that probably uses up 30% of our total electricity bill. We'll be doing something about that for sure!

Replacing just one 60-watt incandescent light bulb with a CFL will save you $30 over the life of the bulb. CFLs also last 10 times longer than incandescent bulbs, use two-thirds less energy, and give off 70 percent less heat.

4. Drive Less and Drive Smart

Guilty as charged. Although my wonderful new Honda Element is good on gas for it's kind of vehicle, it's obviously not great on gas. Luckily for us, we live in a place that you can't drive more than 10 minutes a day on a typical day. I'd say that I probably on a normal day drive less than 20k (more likely 10k with one trip to town and back). It's just far enough with a toddler though, that we can't walk to get downtown and back without interfering with sleeptimes. This summer I'll be consuming more than usual with my jaunts over to the island. I wonder if ferry travel impacts my carbon footprint. Scary thought since I'll be making about 15 trips over and back.

5. Buy Energy-Efficient Products

We did do this this year! We got a new washer/dryer to replace the 20 year old ones that we have. Next on the list is the dishwasher, though for the amount it gets used...

But energy efficient products spread beyond home appliances. What about all the excess packaging that can't be recycled in home products? Can you avoid buying things packaged in styrofoam? Can you buy used things, or check out your local freecycle to get things second hand?

6. Use Less Hot Water


Right now we are very guilty of this. Avari's diapers get washed on super hot and I'd say they make up about 3 loads a week. Another reason to get very excited about potty training this year!

Set your water heater at 120 degrees to save energy, and wrap it in an insulating blanket if it is more than 5 years old. Buy low-flow showerheads to save hot water and about 350 pounds of carbon dioxide yearly.

7. Use the "Off" Switch

Dum Dum Dum.... OK - if I can make any lifestyle change this year. This will be it. I am very lazy when it comes to turning off switches. Well, not lazy - more like flighty. I just don't think about it. Posting a note at the back door would maybe do it? I have been unplugging my laptop at night, but I've been hearing so much about the amount of energy a turned off plugged in TV uses up. Pretty horrifying. I guess I could start with lights, TV unplugging and computer unplugging.

8. Plant a Tree

I did this!!!!!!!!! Finally something to feel proud about! This year we have planted 3 trees, 3 long life large vines and a whole ton of plants. My yard is breathing very well. Never mind the peach plums, cherries and figs it will provide us with.

A single tree will absorb approximately one ton of carbon dioxide during its lifetime.

9. Get a Report Card from your Utility Company

Although the blog that I got these ideas from says that you can get an energy audit for free, I believe that it costs $150 in BC, but that it opens you up to a huge amount of rebates for making changes in your home. I think that if we reno our house we will do this, but for the time being, we probably can't afford the changes it will take to make a difference.

10. Encourage Others to Conserve

well- that's what I'm doing right now, so I did my part! Don't forget to check out http://www.350.org and the banner on the left to see how you can help. Please share ideas of what you are doing/have done to make your home and life more energy efficient. Now I'm off to find out about the carbon footprint for the ferry...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before I live in France, I never recycle anything at home because there aren't any recycle bins out there nor a truck to collect stuff to recycle in Singapore. So when I came to France, this recycling stuff is all so new to me and I'm so into it. Then this year I went back to Singapore for a holiday and found, to my surprise, a large recycling bin below the block for all the residents. :) I'm happy to say that my family in Singapore started recycling too. :)