Melllltttttinnnnnggggg!

Monday, June 30, 2008

Wow is it ever hot! This is day 3 of our true summer weather and it seems like we have stepped in to Arizona. I'm looking up ways to acclimatize myself because I haven't been known to adapt well to extremes! :P

This weekend went by in a blur - I'm very happy to say that Avari's mouth has healed up and she's nursing like a champ again, so no worries there. Of course, now I realize that is something that I'm going to have to start thinking about. I have no intentions to lead the process, I believe in child-led weaning, so I'll just have to realize that when her body decides it's time, it's time! I had a great time at the wedding on Saturday, the photos Karen took are going to be fantastic, and I am so truly thankful that she lets me crash at her house and get a good night sleep! John made us a fantastic breakfast, I borrowed a slow cooker cookbook, got to work on the sweater and really get in to the book I'm reading, and voila - now I'm home again!

Garden Check:
1/2 of the garden is doing incredible, 1/2 won't take.

Front Yard - The peas are a good 6-7 feet tall now, and there are peas starting to grow, the fava beans are getting large, the bean plants have finally started to wind themselves around the string and are taking off (I guess the soil just needed to warm up). My lilies have opened, the passiflora vine is ready to bloom, I'm waiting on the chamomile flowers to open so I can harvest them, the rose bushes aren't looking hot, but there are some beautiful roses coming in. Even the front rock garden is looking well kept!


Backyard- Well, first the positives. Lettuce is ready to start getting a mixed salad, the celery is beginning to look like celery, broccoli plants are standing tall, the garlic is growing. My back rock garden is starting to grow and fill in, I think it will be so beautiful next year! Slowly, plant by plant, I'm working on the area around the fruit trees. I have a cherry on our cherry tree!!!! Great first harvest. Both the cherry and the peach plum are really growing. We may even get a few raspberries this year on our baby bushes.

Negatives - The cucmbers, zucchini and squash all keep disappearing. I gave up on the carrots after replanting 5 times. This is frustrating me SO much! It seems like the yellow marigolds are doing their job, but the plants around the orange ones aren't making it.

Greenhouse! We have cherry tomatoes and Italian Peppers growing! The others should take off and even my tomatoes I planted last month from seed are getting big, they may even produce, I'm hoping I ddin't wait until too late!

0 comments: