Being a Responsible Citizen

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My goal this summer is to become more sustainable. I've been working on this for a LONG time, but it doesn't seem to be progressing at a pace that makes me happy.

Since we get our produce and dry goods in a weekly bin and our meat in a monthy box, that saves us on a huge amount of crappy plastic bags. Somehow, my kitchen and laundry room and STILL becoming overrun with them. I am however recycling all of those extra bags so that makes me somewhat feel better. My goal though is to bring in NO plastic bags to the house. I have a market bag and 2 reusable grocery bags as well as a couple of canvas bags but they don't end up coming with me in the car. Need to make a plan to help this!

Reducing the amount of waste that goes out. Recycle, recycle, recycle. I'm doing a ton better and now that I have built our compost- that's saving us about a plastic grocery bag a week of waste. My goal is to only have 1 bag a week of garbage leaving the house. (and that will make it more enticing to purchase biodegradable expensive waste bags). There really is no excuse to having even a full bag of garbage going out of the house considering you can recycle so much, and compost. What is getting thrown out? I have to figure this out.

I need more ideas...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Teclado e Mouse, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://mouse-e-teclado.blogspot.com. A hug.

Jelaina said...

Hey hey! What's new???!! Post more!
=) Cheers!